Dayhike at Bataan Mountains
Renante MinaSunday, October 21, 2012 35 comments



 Two mountains at Bataan for 1 day
Mt. Mariveles (Tarak Ridge) and Mt. Samat


     When the time they invited me to climb Mt. Makiling Traverse I refused their invitation because that’s was the time I celebrated my birthday with my friends in college and also my former hiking buddy. To be honest I got envious with them because one of my close officemate was also joining the climb. Supposedly that would be my first major climb, but I sacrifice not to join to have time with my family and friends because that time was my birthday and I kept on my mind that the mountains will always be there. After my birthday celebration I planned to do a major day hike at Mt. Tarak and I tried to invite all my hiking buddies but no one’s interested  on my invitation but still I was determined to have the climb and ask myself if I’m ready to do solo climb something bothered my mind what if i will be going to be lost or met an accident? Who will rescue me?

      I’ve done some researches and read blogs about Mt. Tarak to have at least some idea and I saw some comment of Jhay Marquez that he was encouraging other mountaineer to Mt. Tarak.  With his number attached hesitation never came on my mind I texted him and I asked how much will be his guide fee for his service to mountaineers and he replied he is not asking any guide fee, because he want to help those who love hiking and to promote the mountain as  a hiking destination. Jhay Marquez is from Mariveles Bataan climbing mountain was also his passion. He already climbed Mt. Tarak for 17 times he really knew something is wrong or something has been changed on the trail. Before my climb I also watched videos on youtube to have an ideas in that mountain and I got lurve with the strong wind and beautiful scenery. 

     I rode a bus from Cubao, Genesis the name of the bus going to Mariveles.1:00 AM when I left Manila, I asked the conductor to drop me off at Brgy. Alas-asin. Sir Jay and I met at the jump-off and then we walked from the highway jump-off to the registration area of Aling Kurding for about 15 minutes. Aling Kurding and Mang Boy were very nice and very hospitable to us. I read some negative feedback regarding the collection of Aling Kurding, 10.00-20.00 but I think it is not a big deal because it just one way of helping them because they are old now 5:00 AM when we started our trek at the first leg of the trail there’s a fork. Sir Jay got perplexed and he knew that the wide trail was not the right and he put a piece of wood across the trail as a notice to other hiker that was not the right trail.


 Me and Sir Jay

 Papaya river

     I also noticed on the trail the fallen trees and landslides. At 6:30 AM we reached the Papaya River we took a little rest and photo ops. We need to walk quickly because we have another destination aside from the peak; the Scaj Falls and Mt. Samat in one day so really have a limited time. After the Papaya River we begun to experience a very steep trail but there’s a root that you can hold on and you need to be alert all the time because of the rolling stones on the trail. 8:10 AM when we reached the peak. Very tiring because we don’t have enough time to rest because we don’t want our itinerary to be delayed. No views at the peak, I wasn’t able to see the spectacular view because of the fog and I also didn’t experience the strong gust of wind at the Tarak ridge.

Peak

Breathtaking view

 Ridge going to peak

Dramatic part at the peak

     It wasn’t my lucky day. We took our early lunch at the peak. 9:00AM we descent to have our sidetrip at Scaj Falls, while we were walking on the trail I noticed a group resting and no doubt group of Sir Jorge, I knew already because he was also inviting me to climb at Mt. Mariveles Tarak Ridge but I already a promise to Sir Jhay.



 Tarak ridge

 Group of sir Jorge


Sidetrip at SCAJ Falls "Fairy Falls"

      At 10:45 AM when we reached the Scaj FallsFairy Falls” I was so amazed with the stream. The Falls has a clear water and also has a giant trees surrounding the falls. I like the sounds of nature, the rushing water from the falls and chirping birds. It’s true it was a real home of fairies. It’s my time to unwind far away from the city even just a limited time. The place was enigmatic but I’ve seen more beautiful but I don’t know why it attracted me.

     Scaj Falls was discovered by Sky Biscocho and he was the lead of the group when they explored Mt. Mariveles in 1994. Their group was well-known in the field in mountaineering and even offer Basic Mountaineering Course (BMC), 1999 when they introduced the Mt. Mariveles to mountaineers as hiking destination. 11:00 AM we decided to descend and leave the falls I almost forgot that we have other destination: Mt. Samat because the falls was so alluring. It’s like an ice-cold and so refreshing when I drink directly and we refilled our empty bottles. While we were walking the middle of the trail we encountered a snake. I didn't noticed it because of my poor eyesight when I step my left foot it was almost in front of me and I'm screaming HAHAHA! I called Sir Jhay “uy may ahas” I was so shocked and my heart skipped a beat it was my first time to encounter a snake on the trail.

     When we were almost near the jump-off we met these two guys if they were still away from the summit and they mentioned that they were almost lost for more than an hour and we asked them if they will do an overnight there and they replied its only a day hike. We checked the time and It was already past 12. We gave them an advice that they should abort the hike rather than sacrificing their safety because they only have one flashlight. 1:15PM when we reached the Registration area from there we walked again going to highway for I think 15-20 minutes, we take a li'l rest and take a shower to a carinderia and preparing ourselves to another destination at Mt. Samat.

 Trail going SCAJ Falls







 SCAJ Falls

Nanay Kording and Me


Mt Samat "Dambana ng Kagitingan"


















      At the start of World War II in 1942 after suffering heavy losses against the Imperial Japanese Army all over Luzon, the Filipino and American soldiers retreated to Bataan Peninsula to regroup for a last valiant but futile stand. After four months of fighting, the 78,000 exhausted, sick and starving soldiers under Major General Edward P. King surrendered to the Japanese on April 9, 1942 known as the fall of Bataan. It is the single largest surrender of U.S. soldiers in history and Mariveles, a town in the Bataan province, was their last stronghold after which, together with the Philippine soldiers, they were led on to the 80-mile (130 km) march to Capas, Tarlac known as the Bataan Death March. Mt. Samat Cross is situated near the edge of the crater rim. The Mount Samat National Shrine shrine was erected as a fitting memorial to the heroic struggle and sacrific. Historic mountain in the town of Pilár, Province of Bataan, in the Republic of the Philippines. Located near its summit is the Mount Samat National Shrine, a national shrine dedicated to the fallen Filipino and American fallen during World War II. Info from wikipedia.com

  Start from the arch we only walked until we reached the Mt. Samat but there's also trike drivers offers their services going to Mt. Samat but we never ask how much the fare because we are not interested. We challenge ourselves that we will finish two mountains in 1 day, 3:00PM when start walking going to Mt. Samat we just followed the road 1hr and 30mins the time we consumed when we reached the Mt Samat very tiring but it's all worth it. 


ITINERARY
5:00AM - START TREK
7:40AM - TARAK RIDGE
7:50AM - START PEAK ASSAULT
8:10AM - PEAK, EARLY LUNCH, PHOTO OPS
9:00AM - DESCENT 
10:45AM - ETA TO SCAJ FALLS
11:00AM - START DESCENT (DOWNSTREAM)
1:15PM - REGISTRATION AREA (ALING KURDING HOUSE)
2:15PM - RIDE A MINI BUS TO ALAULI
2:45PM - ETA TO BARANGAY DIWA PILAR
3:00PM - START ASSAULT MT. SAMAT
4:30PM - MT. SAMAT 
5:30PM - DESCENT

EXPENSES 
267.00 CUBAO TO BARANGAY ALAS-ASIN MARIVELES (GENESIS)
30.00 BARANGAY ALAS-ASIN TO ALAULI
20.00 ALAULI TO  MT. SAMAT JUMP OFF BARANGAY DIWA PILAR
20.00 REGISTRATION FEE MT. SAMAT
30.00 BARANGAY DIWA PILAR TO BALANGA 
200.00 BALANGA  TO CUBAO (BATAAN TRANSIT)

35 comments:

Byaheng Jologs said...

Nice one Thrash....eto ba yung secret climb mo nung nakaraan? Ganda ng mga pics...Goodluck sa mga susunod mo pang adventuresssssssssss.....hehe

Genskie said...

grabe you made me miss my hometown I was born there....

Manong Unyol said...

talga ma'am wow :) thanks

Manong Unyol said...

thanks see you soon at the mountain :)

Ella Dorado said...

Great experience!!

Nung nakita mo yung ahas napasigaw ka ng
"AAAAHHH, BUT NOT LIKE A GIRL". Natawa ako dun. hahaha!!

Keep on blogging Sir.
More mountains to climb.
See you around. =)

Manong Unyol said...

kc kapag babae titili e iiyak pa yan ako ginulat lang niya pati xxa nagulat lumayo ng mabilis

Dong Ho said...

pag nga naman mahilig sa bindok kahit ituloy tuloy nagagawa. maganda din kasi ang tarak dahil sa mga maliliit na ilog nito. at yung peak ang pinaka astig.

Manong Unyol said...

oo nga sir maganda ang tarak talga ganda pa sa peak :)

Albert the Backpacker said...

Paano mo inakyat ang Tarak,tinakbo at may halong lipad? base sa IT mo ang bilis mo naabot ang peak, he he eh , then lakad pa for Mount Samat, whew di ko ata kaya yon. The Filipino Hardcore Mountaineer is born!!!

lakwatserong tatay said...

wow...namiss ko tong bundok na toh...gusto ko man balikan pero isinumpa ko na siya...hehehehe...nakita ulit ang papaya river na wala naman papaya sa paligid...^_^

saka bago ata un scaj falls...astig..napapaisip tuloy ako na isa pa kayang chance..balik ako rito..

ang malupit pa ngsidetrip kapa ng Mt. Samat...astig...pwede po ba mahingi number ni sir jay..^_^

Manong Unyol said...

mabilisan na lakad at kunting rest sir sobrang hingal ko jan hahaha labas dila pero dapat tapusin laking tulong yung chocolate yun ang energizer ng katawan ko hahaha parang battery lang,

Manong Unyol said...

09077679054 mabait po yan sir responsible hiker yan sobrang bait, promize :) kaya nyu din po ginawa ko,

joy said...

First, I want to thank you for visitimg and leaving a comment. Second, I want to say that I admire your stamina and courage. At maraming salamat sa mga pictures. Di man ako makarating dyan, ay at least nakita ko na ang place through your blog.
Bless you Manong Unyol:)
I remember, me and my husband climb a mountain last summer. Only two hours paakyat, tapos sobrang pagod at sakit ng mga paa namin at ayaw na namin umulit:).
kung gusto makita ang mountain, you can visit " Climbing to the top" Joysnotepad.blogspot.com
nIce meeting you:) Joining your followers:)

gelaikuting said...

ASTIG! I want to see the Scag falls/Fairy falls! kainggit! Nice one :)

Manong Unyol said...

thank you ma'am :) I'm also your follower...

Manong Unyol said...

yah astig nga sayang nga daw d gaano kalakasan ang tubig :) pero ang ganda dun sulit kung mapuntahan mo :)

joanne said...

At talagang basta climb, hindi ka nagpapaawat! Ang bait naman ni Jay, talagang sinamahan ka lang sa climb! Parang gusto ko makita ang Fairy Falls na yan.. Malaki ba yung ahas na nakita mo? Ayan ang isa sa kinakatakot ko sa mountain climbing eh, hehe..

Manong Unyol said...

I think 2feet lang xa pero kakatakot talga kc wala me idea sa mga ahas kung poisonos ba or hindi,.. OO mabait si sir Jay single and Avalable hahaha :)

joanne said...

Talaga? Single at available siya? Di ba ikaw rin? Bagay kayo! Charot! Joke lang, haha..

Manong Unyol said...

hahaha endi ah double na ako, di na bale hahaha ni minsan pumasok sa isip ko y7an hahaha

JonDmur said...

great experience.... sana maka experience din ako niyan...

Nice blog ^^

Manong Unyol said...

try nyu din po :)

Marco said...

Ganda naman dyan!

Manong Unyol said...

yes sir maganda po talga dun :)

Phioxee said...

nag comment ako sa post nato. bakit nawala? anyways, sasarap nung mga waterfalls na side trip ninyu.

Manong Unyol said...

yes ma'am sana lage may sidetrip sa bundok kasu iilan lang meron e hehehe :)

Ann D. said...

good thing this is now in english!

Manong Unyol said...

REQUEST MO KAYA KASI SABI D MO NAIINITINDIHAN OH AYAN NA:)

xoxo_grah said...

Galing mo talaga sir! Hiking is really not my thing and you are so good and with that. Ang galing din nung mga rain forest and mini falls na nakikita along the hike....galing...:)

xx!

Manong Unyol said...

thanks ma'am, sana matry nyu din minsan maganda din xa as part experience mo :)

Anonymous said...

You гeally mаke it appear really eaѕy ωith your pгеsentаtion but Ι to
fіnԁ this mаttеr tο be actuаlly one thing which
I feel I might nеver unԁеrstаnd.
It seеms too compliсated and еxtгemely
laгgе fοг mе. ӏ'm looking forward in your next publish, I will try to get the hang of it!

my web site; reputation management

Anonymous said...

Hi to еverу one, because Ι am truly keen οf
гeading thіs web sitе's post to be updated regularly. It contains pleasant information.

Review my web blog :: lloyd irvin

Sonyboy Fugaban said...

Hi, Renan.

(Sorry for the last comment where I misspelled your name.)

Anyway, just want you to know you never fail to amaze me with your pictures and thank you for including me in your blogroll. You ought to know too that your blog has long been added to my PTB list.

I just noticed that your blog doesn't show the PTB Logo/Badge. Have seen your name on the PTB Members' Directory. I believe you should have that badge asap. Hehe...

Manong Unyol said...

i have logo sir on my "proud member" page thank you lage sa pagcocomento sa aking mga post, lage din ako napapadaan sa blog mo hehehe...

Iya said...

Hi kuya! Well i just want to know kung gano katagal yung trail niyo sa mt.tarak and kung kakayanin ba ng first timer?