Feast of Black Nazarene
Renante MinaFriday, January 11, 2013 24 comments





I am devotee



History

     The statue was made by an anonymous Mexican sculptor, and the image arrived in Manila via galleon from Acapulco, Mexico. Folk tradition attributes the dark colour of the statue to a fire on the ship that charred the originally white skin. Is a life-sized, dark wooden sculpture of Jesus Christ carrying the cross, while representing his passion and suffering and is believed to be miraculous by many Filipino Catholics.

     Church records in Intramuros note that there were originally two, identical images of the Black Nazarene brought to Manila. The first was kept in the San Nicolas de Tolentino church in Bagumbayan and was later transferred to Intramuros when the former was demolished. On January 9th, 1787, the Archbishop of Manila, Basilio Sancho de Santas Justa y Rufina, ordered the transfer of the Black Nazarene to its present location within the Quiapo church. This Black Nazarene was destroyed in the bombardment during the Battle of Manila in 1945. (wikipedia.com)


My experience during the feast

     I promise myself that I would attend the feast of Black Nazarene because I’m also a devotee; we visited Quiapo Church every time my mom’s off to work because she’s also a devotee of the Black Nazarene. I planned this for many times that I want to witness the feast of Black Nazarene because always taken aback for some reasons. Before the day of the feast I watched news and read some info about some tips what to do when you are there, when I’m ready with full emotions I say to myself that Bahala na  “I believe to my faith he will guide me even it’s my first time to do this” .

     Tuesday afternoon before the feast of Black Nazarene I got the permission to my boss to have a leave and a big thanks to him and he gave me an advice I would take care all the time. January 9, 4:00AM I left the house ready to walk for long hours but I decided to ride a jeep going to Quiapo Church because I don’t want to be caught by human traffic because I heard to a news millions of devotees will attend the feast as my preparations I left my phone, watch, wallet and unnecessary things not needed, I wore only short, shirt slippers for my convenience and to try my luck if I can hold into rope or touch the statue of the Black Nazarene.

     While I was on my trip going to Church I saw large group of devotees barefoot walking and all of them wearing maroon shirts and carrying a replica of Black Nazarene from there place going to the procession, for them as act of repentance and sacrifices, I think 5:00AM when I arrived at the Quiapo Church I decided to have a mass at the Quiapo Church instead in Quirino Grandstand because I knew already because it was already crowded and some devotees already slept there and waited the mass and procession. After I attend a mass at the Quiapo, I took my rest and breakfast, when I felt boredom sitting on the side of crowded place thinking what’s next should I do  because as what I heard to other people the Black Nazarene it would too late to be back at the Church, what I did was I go around at the Quiapo Church and taking some pictures for my documentations and I saw group of people wearing a like a Prophet just like what you watch in a movie, I don’t know their believes and saying they’re  the son’s and daughter’s of Gods and their leader are the chosen one. Hmmm… ewan ko sa kanila and I leave, not interested with their conversations, a minutes passed while I’m standing at the middle of the road, I saw a very tough man wearing a dress of a soldier during the Roman Empire, I ran and waited him to have good spot to capture it, because he never stopped walking and ignoring me when I say I will take him a picture.

Real life of Filipino
























     I saw a group and I asked where the procession now and they said “Malayo pa yun salubungin mo nalang”, so I got an idea not to wait in Quiapo instead I will go there in Quirino Grandstand to see the real statue of Black Nazarene and try my luck. Walking going to Quirino Grandstand, on the road I saw a beggar sitting on the middle of the road asking a money I felt pity on him, he is old and weak, because I don’t have a food that can I give to him, I gave a small amount of money that he will buy. And then I saw a blind couple singing and playing guitar I stopped and watched them until they finish the wonderful song they played, very talented and good musicians. When I reached the National Museum I decided to standby there and waited for the procession because they said that the procession was moving already, but that was too slow of the procession I waited for more than 3 hours even it’s hot, I need to be patient and sacrifice because one way to gave thanks the blessing that I received like good health, close bonding with the family and have a good job that support my needs.

     Holy goosebumps what I felt when the Black Nazarene in-front of me and the crowd of the people shouting VIVA! VIVA! VIVA! and waving their handkerchiefs and towels. Many of the peoples wants was to hold the rope and wipe their handkerchiefs to the Black Nazarene. I almost touch the rope but force of the people too strong, I can’t breathe and felt suffocated, I raise my hand as sign of help thanks mga KAPATID I’m okay and I survived. Wooh what a great experienced again for Manong Unyol. I think this is the start that I will continue. 











Hymn to Black Nazareno


Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno

Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Sinasamba Ka namin
Pinipintuho Ka namin
Aral Mo ang aming buhay
at Kaligtasan.
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno
Iligtas Mo kami sa Kasalanan
Ang Krus Mong Kinamatayan ay
Sagisag ng aming Kaligtasan.

Chorus:
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Dinarangal Ka namin!
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Nilul'walhati Ka namin!
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Dinarangal Ka namin!
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Nilul'walhati Ka namin!

24 comments:

Nikka Flores said...

Devotion talaga ang kailangan. :)

Im_Rix said...

:)narinig kong kinakanta ng father ko ang kanta sa mahal na poong Nazareno. Deboto ang nasira kong Ina sa patron na yan... Now following your blog :)

Manong Unyol said...

oo ma'am hehehe at maging seryoso din ... :)

Manong Unyol said...

nasa magandang kalagayan na nanay niyo po sir :) at nag gagabay sa inyo

Lala said...

sabi ng kapatid ko, those times na down na down kami si nazarene ang kanyang nilapitan, naglakad siya kasabay ni nazarene ang sinabi lang sa layo ng nilakad niya wala siyang naramdaman sakit sa paa. ganyan daw nga ka powerful si nazarene.

Ramzi Asrial said...

nice post ....describe real live in filipina..tq

Angry Image said...

very nice post, beautiful wallpapers

Manong Unyol said...

tama po yan, parang gumagaan ang pakiramdam lalo na kung may mga problema ka at lalapit ka sa kanya basta totoo ka at willing ka magsacrifice...

Manong Unyol said...

thanks you sir :)

Manong Unyol said...

thank you :) have a nice day...

Eva said...

Nice photos. I find your blog interesting. Following you now via GFC. :)

-EVA

Manong Unyol said...

oh thank you ma'am.. :) following you too...

Tal said...

grabeng sakripisyo para sa panata at mga dasal pero kinakaya dahil sa pananampalataya, bilib ako sa mga deboto ng Nazareno.

Manong Unyol said...

ganyan talga kapag seryoso kahit anong hirap at ggano kalayo kaya believe talga ako sa mga deboto na nag sasakripisyo...

Elal Jane Lasola said...

Hats odd ako sa mga panata ng Black Nazarene. Sana mapuntahan ko to next year :)

Manong Unyol said...

sana mapuntahn mo to nex time ma'am kakaiba talaga..

Backpacking in the philippines said...

wow andito ka pala., nagkabulutong kasi ako kaya di ako nakapunta sayang

Freya Renders said...

very nice post and great photos

Manong Unyol said...

ay sayang nman po graben tao jan d mahulugan ng karayom..

Manong Unyol said...

THANKS Freya :)

lakwatserong tatay said...

sayang di na naman ako nakaattend, matagal tagal na nun huli ako makaattend dito buhay pa nanay ko....

btw, nice shots...

Manong Unyol said...

thank you sir :) sayang d ka naka punta pero ok lang yan sir marami pa nman pagkakataon...

Dong Ho said...

kakaiba ka talaga. di ko pa yan nakikita kasi tinatamad ako dahil sa dami ng tao. sigurado di malilimutan yang araw na yan. lapit ng iba mong kuha.

Manong Unyol said...

oo sir grabeng hirap din jan kung gusto mo talaga mahawak ang tali or makasampa may pag buwis buhay sa sobrang dami ng tao..